a traveling Wife: My Candle Closet







My Candle Closet

Friday, December 7, 2012

During the fall and winter months in my house you can find at least one candle burning.
Yet while I am typing this I do not have any candles burning. Oh well.

Well I went into my candle closet I may or may not have a candle closet and found a bunch of not useable candles. I hate to through the glass containers away so when the candle no longer burns I set them aside until I need the container for something. 

I noticed that many of my nonburnable candles have a similar or complementary scent so I decided to make a layer candle. This would allow me to continue to use those scents.


The three candles I used to layer were all from Bath and Body Works in the scent 
Fresh Lemonade, Passion Fruit & Guava, and Mango & Spearmint.


I added a candle wick to an empty glass candle container.


Then I started to melt down the wax in a pot of low boiling water.
It took about 7 minutes per candle.

Once the wax melted, I poured them into the empty container layer by layer.


Now I have a lovely candle that I can burn. The scents really complement each other.

Here is what you need:
  • Candle wax (in any combination of scents and as many different scents)
  • Candle wick (at least height of glass container)
  • Saucepan taller than the height of wax you need to melt. 
  • Water
Directions:
  • Add enough water to the saucepan to come to the height of the candle wax you need to melt.
  • Heat water to a light boil.
  • Place a candle wick in an empty glass container.
  • Once water is to a light boil, place one of the candles in the water to melt the wax.
  • When wax is melted, pour into glass container with wick in the center.
  • Place that container in the freezer to harden up the wax while putting the next candle in the pot of water to melt.
  • Continue this process until you have melted all the candle wax for your new candle.
What do you do with your burned out candles?

2 comments:

  1. This is genius. And I bet that candle smells delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that a great idea!

    I usually stick the finished candle into my freezer for a couple of days. The wax contracts and the block of it can be easily removed from the glass wall!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your support. I appreciate you for taking the time to read my content and leaving comments or feedback.