a traveling Wife: Frozen Berry Pie Recipe







Frozen Berry Pie Recipe

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Frozen Berry Pie is perfect during the winter months while fresh berries aren't in season. Enjoy this deliciously sweet pie warm or chilled, with a required dollop of whipped cream.
--

Growing up, I would go strawberry picking with my grandparents every year. Of course, I always devoured my fair share of strawberries on the field and I believe that the staff should have weighted me before and after to charge us the difference. But my favorite part about picking strawberries with my grandparents was my grandma's fresh strawberry pie that she made with the super sweet strawberries. I recreated this pie a few years ago, but I will also be sharing the recipe in tomorrow's post for day three of Five Days of Pie



While fresh strawberries aren't in season right now, I opted for a Frozen Berry Pie. Frozen berries are extremely cost effective and the fresh berries are frozen at the peak of their freshness. This means your pie will be perfect each and every time. 

For this particular pie, I chose frozen strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. Luckily, they all came in the same variety pack so I just threw them into the pie. I also used the perfect pie crust I showed you yesterday and created a beautiful looking lattice top. Mind you, the more rustic the pie, the better it tastes - at least that's how I feel. 

Five Days of Pie
Five Days of Pie
Five Days of Pie

One tip I have when using juicy berries in a pie is to precook the bottom crust. This will help prevent the crust from getting really soggy. Another tip is to dust some white sugar and corn starch on the bottom crust prior to placing the fruit on it. That will also help prevent a soggy crust. 

Five Days of Pie
Five Days of Pie

Because the bottom crust was precooked, I recommend creating a foil crown for at least half the baking time so that your beautiful crimps don't burn. No one likes a burnt pie. 

Five Days of Pie
Five Days of Pie

Frozen Berry Pie

Recipe by a traveling Wife

Ingredients
  • Perfect Pie Crust
  • 5 cups Mixed Frozen Berries
  • 2/3 cup White Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Corn Starch
  • 1 Egg White
Cooking Directions
  1. Make your Perfect Pie Crust and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  3. Meanwhile, allow your frozen berries to partially thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  4. Roll out your bottom crust and place into pie pan and crimp around the edges. Using a fork, poke holes into the bottom crust then bake for 10-12 minutes, or until pie crimps are lightly browned.
  5. In a large bowl, combine berries, white sugar, and corn start until thoroughly mixed.
  6. Remove pie crust from oven and dust bottom with a little white sugar and corn starch. Place the berry mixture onto the precooked bottom crust then roll out top crust for lattice.
  7. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F
  8. Construct your lattice topping and crimp edges of pie crust.
  9. Brush crust with egg whites and * dust with white sugar (optional).
  10. Use foil to create a foil crown around the edges of the pie crust.
  11. Bake for 20 minutes then remove the foil crown and bake for another 30-40 minutes, or until crust is brown.
  12. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
Click to tweet: Frozen Berry Pie - perfect during the winter.
Five Days of Pie
Five Days of Pie

Have you ever gone strawberry picking?
Have you ever used frozen berries in a pie?